October 9, 2016, at Trinity Episcopal Church, Reno, Nevada
Dr. Phillip Manwell will perform the World Premiere of the new work he commissioned for organ. He will be joined by violist Dustin Budish for the West Coast Premier of 'Whalefall.' Dr, Manwell will also perform 'Feels Like a Passacaglia' with a percussionist TBA.
Recent and Ongoing Projects
The WORLD PREMIERE of The Big Bonanza: A New American Opera was presented in three fully-staged performances on April 8, 9 and 10, 2016, by Nevada Chamber Opera under the direction of Albert Rudolph Lee with the University of Nevada Symphony Orchestra conducted by Jason Altieri, in Nightingale Hall at the University of Nevada, Reno. The piece has been described as " stunning..." and "a thoroughly satisfying evening in the theater."
Recent CD releases featuring the music of Monica Houghton:
- "American Lyricism" MSR
Classics (MS1534) "Sonata
for Piano" performed by Minnesota-based pianist Christopher Atzinger
follow this link to read a recent review http://audaud.com/?p=41598
Menagerie" MSR Classics (MS1474) "Whalefall" performed by Boston-based violist Michelle LaCourse and
composer/pianist Martin Amlin
- A new work for chamber choir "Silicon Valley Moms: Views from a California ESL Class" was commissioned and premiered by Voices of Silicon Valley under the direction of Cyril Deaconoff in a series of two concerts on May 30 and 31, at St. Timothy Lutheran Church, San Jose, and First Presbyterian Church, Oakland, California. Read a Spanish language article about the project here.
- On International Woman's Day, Dr. Deaconoff gave a first performance of "Feels Like a Passacaglia" for organ and percussion (arranged for organ and handbells) at the First Presbyterian Church, Oakland.
- Cellist Dmitri Atapine with pianist Hyeyeon Park presented the WORLD PREMIERE of "Andean Suite" on February 20, 2015, on a program entitled "The American Cello," in Nightingale Hall at University of Nevada, Reno.
- The Argenta Trio performed "Wilderness Portraits: Three Places in Nevada" on the Argenta Concert Series in April 2014, together with works by Beethoven and Brahms.
- The composer produced an hour-long benefit concert for the Reno Chamber Orchestra on January 31, 2013, at the Nevada Museum of Art
in Reno, Nevada, featuring five of her chamber works.